Sunday 31 May 2009

Speaking from experience 16!

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

My skills and understanding of illustrator and InDesign have come on a huge amount, I now feel confident using the program's and feel I have developed a good amount of knowledge so far through exploration and experimentation. Design sheets and much quicker thinking is in my mind another 'skill' I have developed. I can now produce several concepts in the time it used to take me to develop one - this too me is another skill I have picked up.  I have also developed a skill of hand crafting through making leaflets, booklets and packaging designs in this module.

What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

In this module, organization has been a huge part of being able to develop ideas and concepts quickly effectively.  I kept track of research and development through my blog as always, and recently started using folders and plastic wallets to separate the hard copies - where as on previous modules my portfolio would be mixed up, unprofessional and a general mess.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalize on this?

For me this module has been my strongest of the first year.  I found the way I developed ideas and concepts through design sheets made a massive difference to how my final resolution was produced.  Looking back at this modules work, I noticed my final resolutions the majority of the time were developed using photography and/or illustrator.  Although this has been a big strength, I do not wish to fall into a trap of not experimenting or using any other software.

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how do you wish to address this?

Although I feel I gather a good amount of research, I do not evaluate or annotate why I chose it, or what its useful for in my project.  It is the same story with my development work - I do not fully annotate it, although it is organized.  As said above, this module for me has been hugely based around illustrator - this COULD become a weakness in future modules if I get into a dirty habit of not experimenting. 

Identify 5 things you would do differently next time and what you wish to gain from doing this?

1. Do a daily blog - instead of doing 4 in a day
2. Design sheets - easier to look through and understand than a book
3. annotate my research especially - more marks?
4. Experiment with more media - although my final resolutions in this module were successful, next module (or summer project) I will experiment with more media
5. Visit galleries and look at more books - get inspired by others work

How would you grade yourself in the following areas:

5 = Excellent, 4 = Very good, 3 = Good, 2 = Average, 1 = Poor

Attendance - 5
Punctuality - 4
Motivation - 4
Commitment - 4
Quantity of work produced - 4
Quality of work produced - 4
Contribution to the group - 5

No comments: